Sunday, April 30, 2017

Sophie Lancaster

If you're a goth, you probably know about Sophie Lancaster. She was beaten to death in 2007, just for the way she looked. It broke my heart then, and it still does. You might remember my post about RTSI - Alternative people are STILL being treated badly to this day. You'd think society would have evolved a little, but not really. So we still need to fight for this cause.

This video really got to me when I was 13 years old. I even wrote a story in school based on Sophie, and my teachers actually thought it had happened to my girlfriend. So I guess I felt it so much that it was that convincing. The video also got me into Portishead. If you like the song, check our their album Dummy.

This year marks the 10th anniverary of her death, and because of that, there has been a calendar made to raise money for the Sophie Lancaster Foundation. It features ReeRee Phillips, Caligo Bastet, and many other goth models, youtubers and notable people. Click here to pledge! I have pledged $20, and even if you can only pledge $1, do it!

Us weird people need to stick together and fight, so we can make a change. One thing you can do completely free is to educate people around you about what being alternative really is about. Hate comes from fear of the unknown, and there are many nasty misconceptions about us out there. If people actually bother to listen to you, tell them what it means to you, and let them ask questions, no matter how ''stupid''. Be nice and polite to everyone, and that might make people change their minds about us! Of course there will always be people who already have made up their mind and cannot be convinced of otherwise, but let them be and let them have that sad life view.

If you are being harassed or treated differently just because of your interests or looks, please do something about it. If you can't stand up for yourself, at least tell someone you trust. Even the police! There is no shame in that, and it probably won't hurt your reputation. Best case scenario justice will be served! People need to know that this is not okay, whether it's your lifestyle, gender, sexuality, race, religion or anything else. Be sure to check out my blog post about RTSI that I linked in the beginning of this post, as I wrote more about this there.


Support S.O.P.H.I.E., RTSI or any other foundation if you can and help spread awareness.

Stamp
Out
Prejudice,
Hatred and
Intolerance
Everywhere

No comments:

Post a Comment

Make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...